Sunday, September 19, 2010

Trishul - the movie

My little daughter was fumbling with the television remote control. She was trying to turn on her favorite channel. As I was cooking in the kitchen I suddenly heard the baritone voice that had often set my heart beat faster. The voice was quite restrained and I could immediately figure out the film. It was “Trishul” – one of my favorite Amitabh Bachan films.
I have seen most of his films in my teens and was heavily impressed by his acting style. Amitabh was a hero whom everybody looked up to and we grew up on a staple diet of his films. Fortunately in those days we didn’t have cable channels and the stars were not over exposed. They retained their aura and enigma and have not become family members. We would wait for days or even months to view an Amitabh Bachan film and the occasions were welcomed by all family members. When I first saw “Trishul” I was overwhelmed by his style of acting which was quite different from the more popular ones.
But this time when I sat down to view it, it was different. I was no more a teenager enamored by Amitabh but a seasoned movie watcher who is quite choosy about her film viewing. But still I was amazed to find how this 1978 movie kept me glued to the television set for over three hours! I wondered was it Amitabh, was it Sanjeecv Kumar or the story itself.
Trishul is a fine example of Indian film with an interesting story line and some fine actors who were in their heyday. The restraint Vijay matched the vibrant Ravi and both Rakhee and Hema carried their roles well. But it is Amitabh who almost governs all the scenes and deserves special mention.
From the very beginning when Amitabh first appears on screen he portrays a character who is confident, knows what to get and how to get and is cool about everything. As I watched the film I felt how he dictates every scene and enjoys absolute authority. Be it with veteran Sanjeev Kumar or flamboyant Sashi Kapoor, it was Amitabh who stole the show with his presence.
The screenplay was superb with very little distraction. Overall “Trishul” is an out and out enjoyable movie which I realized, I can view many more times.

2 comments:

  1. hmmmm.. somehow i hv never watched the whole of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should watch it. it is nice movie. very intense acting my Big B.

      Delete