Thursday, August 12, 2010

How a doctor made me feel proud

Last week had been very trying for me. I had signed up for a few new projects and work kept pouring in. Not that I want to complain about this extra work pressure but what made the task difficult was my daughter’s sickness. She developed cough and cold with high fever. For days she remained ill and could not attend school. She was in a very irritable mood and was not letting me work. As she was not improving I took her to the doctor. She likes this Homeopath doctor as he gives sweet medicines and his chamber always holds a special attraction for her because of the collection of pens he has.
On that particular day she was not her cheerful self. As we sat in the doctor’s chamber she started bombarding me with her questions. As I had nothing better to do sitting in that tiny room so I tried to provide acceptable answers to all her probable and improbable questions. The questions ranged from why does the doctor need two torches one yellow and one red to why does he keep red sketch pens and why are there stools in the room, who lies down on the bed and why and so on and so forth. As soon as I managed to get rid of one set of questions, I was barraged by another set. At one point I wondered how come a little brain hold so many queries. She should have some mercy for her beleaguered mother!
When I was going through this question answering session, the doctor was patiently writing prescriptions and preparing medicines for her.
After examining her he turned towards me and said that although he was busy with his work yet he was paying attention to what was happening in the room. He congratulated me on answering her queries successfully. He praised my effort and went on to say that this will enhance her learning capability and also encourage her to seek more. This actually will help her to grasp concepts and ideas better in her later life and also make learning an enjoyable experience for her.
I really felt proud. Although I have been doing this since she started talking as I already knew some of the good impacts of it but no one has till now praised my efforts openly. I felt good about myself.
As we left the doctor’s chamber my daughter waved him goodbye and sprinted along with me towards home. Both of us were feeling better although for different reasons. The doctor really made my day!

1 comment: